Tuesday, March 12, 2013

When I Ate Animals - A Poem



When I Ate Animals
A Poem by Jack Truman

It doesn't seem that long ago
When I ate animals
Most people eat animals
I don't anymore

When I was a kid
Growing up
You ate 3 squares a day
Meat and potatoes
Bacon and eggs
Biscuits and gravy
Burgers and fries
Everything was with meat
Every dish had a dead animal

When I ate animals

When I ate animals
They tasted good
Didn't know any different
That's what everybody did
When I became an adult
I ate dead animals
They tasted good
And as I kept eating dead animals
The weight would gain
The health got worse
I passed age 30
Became obese
Got an ulcer
Started getting chest pains

When I ate animals

When the millenium hit
My body was in quite a pickle
Was living in California
Where they say all them there fruits and nuts live
Decided to not eat animals for a month
Just fruits, vegetables and grains
Lost 30 pounds
Did it a second month
Lost another 20
My ulcer healed

When I didn't eat animals

That was my wake up call
The eating of animals stopped
It's 15 years later
I'm pushing 50
And am at the weight I was when
I was 20
Heathier than ever
A vegan for life

It started for my health
Then evolved into morals

Now I eat to live
Instead of living to eat

I thank a higher power
And am glad to say
That if there's one thing I'm thankful for
In this life
Was to find the day that it was wrong

To eat animals

Those days are long ago
And gone for good

When I ate animals



No comments:

Post a Comment